Nestled on the foothills of Eastern Himalaya, Siliguri is a breath-taking city in the Indian state of West Bengal known for its thriving tourism.
Blessed with many natural scenic beauties, a fascinating view of the snow-clad mountains and various flora & fauna, Siliguri and its Tourism is alluring plenty of travellers all through the years.
Sited on the bank of Mahananda River, the alluring Siliguri is quite famous for tea, timber and also tourism. The unique cultures and the diversified people of Siliguri amaze all the tourists who visit it for the first time.
Also known as the gateway of Northeast India, Siliguri is one of the major business hubs and the second-largest city in terms of population.
So, in order to know Siliguri and its tourism completely, let’s have a look at all the details related to Siliguri.
Siliguri Tourism Sightseeing Places
As Siliguri because of its tourism is a popular tourist destination in North Bengal, there are plenty of places you can visit and see here. But, some of the most visited tourist places are:
1. Iskcon Temple
One of the most visited tourist places to see in Siliguri, Iskcon temple has become a renowned name among tourist.
Due to its tremendous architectural excellence and a breath-taking view of the surrounding places, Iskcon Mandir has lured thousands of travellers to visit it.
Gardens full of colourful blooming flowers, a lake full of fishes, various idols of Lord Krishna, colourful painting of the avatars of Lord Krishna on the ceiling of the temple are the major attractions here.
Moreover, here you can feel the presence of Lord Krishna everywhere. People chant “hare Krishna” to spiritually connect with Lord Krishna here.
2. Salugara Monastery
Salugara Monastery is one of the must-visit sightseeing places in Siliguri. Built by the Tibetan Buddhist monks who are the avid followers of Dalai Lama, Salugara Monastery attracts plenty of travellers due to its 100 feet stupa built by Kalu Rinpoche, a Tibetan Lama.
Also known as The Great International Tashi Gomang Stupa, this monastery is approximately 9 km away from Siliguri.
It usually takes more than 20 minutes to reach Salugara Monastery from Siliguri. Furthermore, tourists also visit this colourful monastery to see five kinds of Buddhist relics.
3. The Science City
Established in 1997, The Science City is the one and only Science Centre in North Bengal. Just 3 km away from the main town of Siliguri, The North Bengal Science City is famous for Digital Planetarium, many science shows and its famous park full of floras.
Furthermore, the gigantic statue of a T-Rex is also worth mentioning which make it among the best places to see in Siliguri.
The students from all around the North Bengal and many science enthusiasts visit this must-visit place in Siliguri to witness ad get closer to science.
4. Savin Kingdom
Located in Dagapur and just 5 km away from the main town of Siliguri, Savin Kingdom is an ideal place who want to enjoy their time in leisure.
It is a water park where you can enjoy pool slides, artificial waves, rain dance, sky train, etc.
Moreover, you can also find a restaurant and also kids’ corner, which make it one of the ideal places to see in Siliguri.
5. Bengal Safari Park
Situated just 8 km away from Siliguri, Bengal Safari Park is one of the must-see places to visit in Siliguri. Have a jungle safari in this park to see many wild animals such as sambar deer, Royal Bengal Tiger, wild bears, rhinoceros, peacocks and many more.
6. Coronation Bridge
Also known as the Sevoke Bridge & just 20 km away from Siliguri, Coronation Bridge is a scenic bridge amidst the lush green forest. The goosing Teesta river flows beneath this bridge while increasing the beauty of this British architectural excellence.
7. Sevoke Kali Mandir
Very Close to the iconic Coronation Bridge, there is a beautiful temple of Goddess Kali. The temple has a lot of stairs to finally reach there. However, after reaching there, you will get a breath-taking view of the surrounding and the shimmering River Teesta flowing in its own way.
8. Suryasen Park
Located at the Mahakal Pally in Siliguri, Suryasen Park is an ideal place to spend some tranquil time with your loved ones. Here you can enjoy the train ride and boating or even can sit in the benches for hours while having a companion of your family or friends.
9. Baghajatin Park
Also known as BJP among locals, Baghajatin Park is a popular place in Siliguri which acts a playground and also as a place to chit-chat with friends. There are a bunch of different food stalls outside the park. In the evening, youngsters come here to eat and have gossips with family and friends which make the atmosphere full of fun.
Dudhia is a fascinating picnic spot near Siliguri. Just 25 km away from Siliguri, people usually come here to picnic amidst the lush greenery and beautiful river. Moreover, the riverbank of Dudhia is the perfect place for nature enthusiasts who love to do a campaign.
How to Reach Siliguri
Reaching Siliguri is not a hard task as it is a popular tourist destination in North Bengal. The transportation system is quite nice. You can reach here by roads, by rail or even by air.
Bagdogra airport is the nearest airport in Siliguri. The airport is just 10 km away and it usually takes approximately 20 minutes to reach Siliguri.
This airport is one of the major airports in North Bengal. It is nicely connected with various other major cities in India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Guwahati, etc.
After landing at Bagdogra, you can hire a taxi or car just from the parking zone of the car outside. You can even take a bus. There are plenty of buses available who runs daily from Bagdogra to Siliguri.
Siliguri is easily accessible by road. Many buses and shared taxis are available from all other places of West Bengal.
From Kolkata, buses from NBSTC (North Bengal State Transport Corporation) and public buses can be opted.
Moreover, you can even opt for a hired car to reach Siliguri conveniently and quite comfortably.
It is worth mentioning that it will take more than 13 hours to reach Siliguri from Kolkata as the distance between them is approximately 600 km.
Siliguri has its own railway station named Siliguri Junction. However, the major railway station near Siliguri is the New Jalpaiguri Junction.
NJP is nicely connected with many other railway stations of major cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati, etc.
After reaching New Jalpaiguri Junction, you just have to take a car, auto or taxi to reach Siliguri. Many shared autos are available at the auto stand outside the station.
It will take less than 30 minutes to reach Siliguri from NJP as the distance between them is just 10 km.
Things & Activities to Do in Siliguri
Being one of the most visited tourist destinations for its growing tourism in the entire North Bengal, you have plenty of things and activities to do in Siliguri. However, some of the exciting things to do in Siliguri are:
- Swimming: Swimming is one of the popular things to do in Siliguri. There are plenty of clubs and swimming pools available in Siliguri where you can enjoy the Swimming activity. Some of the notable swimming pools and clubs are Siliguri Club, Cinderella Club, Viramma Club, Stadium Swimming Pool, etc.
- Jungle Safari: Jungle Safari is also one of the best things to do in Siliguri. Visit Bengal Safari Park to spot many wild animals such as sambar deer, Royal Bengal of tiger, jungle fowl, wild boars, rhinoceros, spotted deer, etc.
- Enjoy the Tranquillity of Tea Gardens: Siliguri is full of scenic tea gardens. Walkthrough these tea gardens and enjoy the serene ambience of nature.
- Photography: Create memories in photographic form while capturing photos of many magnificent temples and places of Siliguri. Capture the mountain peaks and temples like Iskcon Mandir to cherish the beauty of them forever.
- Visit Various Religious Places: Siliguri is full of temples, masjids and monasteries. So, visiting religious places are going to be one of the best things to Do in Siliguri. Some of the renowned religious places are- Iskcon Temple, Salugara Monastery, Ashraful Masjid, etc.
Best Time to Visit Siliguri Tourism
The best time to visit Siliguri is from the months of October to December if you want to enjoy the cool weather of winter.
Again, you can visit Siliguri from February to March to have an enjoyable not so cool or not so hot weather.
Malls That Increase Tourism in Siliguri
Being one of the most populated and bustling cities of West Bengal, there are plenty of malls here in Siliguri. Some of the popular malls are-
- Vega Circle Mall: Siliguri Vega Circle Mall is located beside the Sevoke Road and near Check Post. This luxurious mall offers Inox movie theatre, international hotels and restaurants.
- Cosmos Mall: Opened in the year of 2008, Cosmos Mall is also Situated beside the Sevoke Road & in the opposite of WBSEDCL office. It is one of the major shopping destinations in the entire Siliguri.
- City Centre: A perfect place for family outing and Shopping, Siliguri city centre is the must-visit destination for shopping, eating, gaming, movies, etc.
Siliguri Tourism Street Markets
Siliguri has a bunch of streets markets and Bazar that increase tourism in Siliguri. Most of them stay crowdy all the time. Some of the popular Street Markets are-
- Bidhan Market: Bidhan Market is one of the oldest markets in Siliguri. It is near Kanchenjunga Stadium. The market stays always crowded. As a result, you have to wander through its busy lanes while keeping your eyes at various items being sold here.
- Hongkong Market: A yet another bustling street market in Siliguri where you can find many items and electronics imported from China, Nepal or even from Thailand.
- Mahabirsthan Market: One of the popular markets in Siliguri, Mahabirsthan Markets offers a vast collection of clothes, shoes, and other merchandises at an affordable price.
- Bhutia Market: A seasonal market near Kanchenjunga Stadium, Bhutia Market offers a huge collection of winter clothes. You can buy jackets, woollen clothes, sweaters, etc from here.
- Seth Srilal Market: Seth Srilal Market is another busiest market in Siliguri. You can shop for clothes, jewellery and many other items at the cheapest price.
Reasons to Explore Siliguri and Its Tourism
Siliguri and its tourism with its unique charisma attract lakhs of travellers to visit it. So, here are some of the reasons to visit Siliguri
- The Charming weather: The weather of Siliguri is quite pleasing. The temperature doesn’t hit below 0 degrees or even rise above 40 degrees. As a result, the weather of Siliguri makes it a tourism friendly destination.
- Wildlife & Forest: Visit the nearby forest of Siliguri to get closer to nature and various wild animals. This is also the reason for the increasing demand of Siliguri tourism.
- Religious Places: Feel the presence of God while visiting many sacred sites of Siliguri.
- Street foods & Cuisines: Taste some craving tasty street foods such as momo, chow mien, Thukpa, etc. Moreover, Bengali food is also available here.
- Countless Sightseeing Places: Explore all the sightseeing places in Siliguri to soothe your mind and spirit.
As you can see, Siliguri “The Gateway of Northeast India” is thriving rapidly as a major Tourism Hub in West Bengal.
Be it the charming weather, fascinating tourist spots or delicious foods and cuisines, Siliguri with its ever-growing tourism will not disappoint you.